Welcome to the 2019 PFLC Auditions! We’re glad you stopped by and we hope you’ll consider auditioning for this upcoming season. Read on to learn a bit about how our choir functions, how to register for an audition spot and everything you can expect from the audition process.
- We welcome all who self-identify as femme/trans/woman or gender non-binary.
- We seek to emphasize work in our repertoire that supports femme/trans/woman and gender non-binary artists, issues, equality and empowerment.
- We are a “self-run” choir! This means we don’t have a “leader” or director in the traditional sense, but rather we share these responsibilities in a mix of organic & democratic selection. All choir members contribute as they are able, willing and interested to the governance, leadership and musical magic-making this choir puts forth. There are various committees that lead efforts in marketing, booking gigs, planning rehearsals, justice & inclusion efforts and more. Your participation in one of these committees will be a welcome and looked-for contribution as part of your membership in the choir. And it’s fun! In addition, a core group of members are voted on each year by the choir to participate on a board (known as the Red Hot Coals). These members dedicate additional time to the operational needs of the choir and serve as a central communications team and choral think tank.
- Each year, the whole choir votes on the new season’s repertoire from an existing gallery of songs we’ve learned in prior years. And 3 or 4 new songs are added to the repertoire through a Song Pitch process we engage in at the start of each season.
- At each rehearsal, active participation from all members is welcome and encouraged to share ideas for dynamics, arrangement, phrasing or other performance techniques. You don’t need to be able to read music, but you do need to be able to listen to yourself and those around you and be open to constructive feedback. Our rehearsals are in a laid-back and supportive environment, but we don’t sacrifice choral rigor or our rock n roll attitude! (Also, most of us are nerds, so…)
- We perform at a variety of venues and settings in the Twin Cities – including parks, theaters, clubs, bars and other religious and social institutions. Most of our performances are off-book, so memorization of your part in each song will be a priority. If this sounds like your dream come true – then read on to learn how you can make it happen.
- We rehearse every Thursday evening from 7 to 9 PM at Richfield Lutheran Church. Our season runs from approximately March to November each year, concluding with a season finale performance.
- Location: Richfield Lutheran Church – 8 W 60th St., Minneapolis, MN 55419
- Registration: Audition registration will be open for 24 hours – January 24, 2019 from 12:00 AM – 11:59 PM. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR AUDITIONS.
- Process: The auditions process will take place in two rounds. ALL who register to audition will attend ROUND 1. After the first round, those notified will be invited to attend ROUND 2. We seek to conduct every aspect of the audition process in an affirming and non-intimidating way. Relax, be yourself, have fun.
Round 1 – Thursday, February 7th, 7-9 PM
Round 1 will start with sectionals. You will be divided into one of three groups – Soprano, Alto or Tenor, based on the part you choose at time of registration – to learn our song “Flood Plain Ballad” together. These groups will be led by current PFLC singers. This is an opportunity to sing out any jitters and get a glimpse into how we do things at PFLC. After “sectionals” we will bring small groups of auditioners together to sing your newly-learned part in “Flood Plain Ballad” along with a few of our current members. Our goal here is to hear if you can sing, hold your part, and enjoy the process!
Round 2 – Thursday, February 21st, 7-9 PM
A few days following Round 1, you will receive an email indicating whether or not you have been called back for Round 2. If you are called back, you will attend Round 2 on the 21st. This round will include three different stations:
1) A brief interview
2) Sing Flood Plain Ballad in trios
3) Range testing and pitch matching
4) Once you get through all three stations you may leave. More information about the interview and other steps in Round 2 process will be sent to those called in for that round.
- Prior to Round 1 auditions, you will receive an email giving you access to sheet music and a recording of Flood Plain Ballad, which you can use to review prior to your audition.
- If you receive an invitation to join the choir, the part you audition for may not necessarily be the part you are ultimately assigned in the choir for the 2019 season. Depending on the choir’s needs and depending on your vocal flexibility, a different part may be assigned to you.
- If you have any questions/concerns/clarifications/clever witticisms – please send them to email@example.com and someone will reply to you as soon as possible.
Looking forward to meeting new faces and singing with new voices! Rock on.